Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Stuff I've Tried as of Late: Some I Love and Some I Hate!

 
Let's start with the one I hate. I have been on the hunt for a good purple mascara for a long time now and so when MAC released an array of mascaras in beautiful vibrant shades in its Wonder Woman collection, I thought my hunt was over. I picked up the shade in Victorious, which is a bold purple tone. Needless to say, I am back on the hunt for a good purple mascara.

MAC Opulash mascara in Victorious
What it is:
MAC Opulash mascara in Victorious, not waterproof.

What Its Supposed To Do:
The large brush design is supposed to achieve volumized lashes. Key word, "supposed."

What It Actually Does:
Not a whole hell of a lot. Like a beautiful yet dumb blonde, it just sits there and looks pretty. It does not volumize nor lengthen, rather, it makes my lashes spiky and lifeless. It does separate decently but that quality isn't exactly helpful if that is all it does. What you end up with is just separated, dull, and spikey lashes. Booooorringgg.

Pros:
This particular shade of purple chosen to represent was spot on. I love the electric purple shade in that it is a true purple and not a plum or eggplant. Most purple mascaras out there right now are more in the way of these two tones and this is not what I was looking for.
The jumbo brush and packaging is pretty cool but leads one to believe that they are going to get jumbo lashes (see the CONS category)

Cons:
This mascara does nothing for my lashes overall. It makes them spiky, crusty, and overall just very lame.
The purple that you see is not the purple that you get. I have heard that the purple mascara in this collection of four is the least pigmented. The rumors are true. No volume. No length. No pigmentation. No happy customer.

Overall Grade: D-

In summation: it is a big tease to see a gorgeous electric and bold purple shade of my dreams before me and yet it doesn't come close to transitioning as such when applied to the lashes. If a mascara was meant to just be admired, this one would take the cake. Unfortunately, mascara is actually supposed to do a job and in this case this mascara is the ultimate failure and has been given its dismissal papers and sent packing.

Its important to note that in my opinion, all MAC mascaras suck. Zoom Lash could have been decent if it wasn't so dang runny and messy. I had hopes for this Opulash formula because of the size of the brush and my gullibility when the MAC girl told me it was amazing. 


What Is next for my continued "Hunt For a Great Purple Mascara?"

YSL Volume Effect Faux Cilis in shade Fascinating Violet. You can't go wrong with YSL mascara, it is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Yet, E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E.
YSL Volume Effect Faux Cilis, Check Out That Purple! Wow!

1 comment: