Search This Blog

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Poppy King, The Lipstick Queen: Who and What?!

Check it out!  http://www.lipstickqueen.com/

Poppy King, an Australian entrepreneur, started her own cosmetics company at age 18.
Quite frustrated and unimpressed by the choices in lipsticks thatwere available at that time, she made it her mission to create something better. Lipstick was Poppy's main focus. She went on to create a line of opaque lipsticks through her company Poppy Industries, that were all the rage in Australia. Poppy Industries would be a multi-million dollar business. Not too bad for the girl with a dream.

 When the company attempted to expand in the late 90's to make its way to the US, the business collapsed and went into liquidation and finally completely dissolved in 2002. Poppy certainly didn't collapse along with it. Somewhere along the way she became a big time executive for Estee Lauder.

Fortunately, Poppy is back on the lipstick pedestal where she belongs, giving it another try with her own line, Lipstick Queen. I hear they are fantastic. The Lipstick Queen gives you a variety of options in both texture and coverage: a line of sheer (saints) and opaque (sinners) lipsticks as well as a variety of glosses.

 Particularly attention-grabbing is her "15 Minutes of Fame" lipgloss line that is inspired by the Pop Art movement of the 1970's. There is one gloss for each minute. My personal favorite is minute "5", a peachy-toned neutral. Perhaps Poppy is best known for her opaque lipsticks. These are matte finish but not at all drying, according to those that have used them. Which is a big big plus in the area of matte lipsticks.


Interestingly enough, Ms. King has created a lipstick and gloss combination called "Jean Queen". What this is is a shade that she designed to compliment any of your blue jeans. I have no idea how this is accomplished except for the fact that blue and pink do compliment one another naturally. But if you want more information on this creative concept, go to the website and watch "Lipstick Queen TV" where Poppy does a short video and explains the concept behind "Jean Queen."



But its more than just girl meets lipstick, girl falls in love with lipstick, girl creates lipstick. Poppy does lip readings! That's right, she can can tell a lot about a person from the way their mouths are shaped, particularly how the lips turn up or down or straight across. Very interesting...

And not surprisingly, I'm dying to try one of each of the lipsticks. On the top of my list? The "Saint" line in Natural, Nude, and Pink. I don't branch out much do I?

Saint: Natural
Saint: Nude
Lipstick Lessons: FAQ's about the line and general how to's:

http://www.lipstickqueen.com/faq.htm


What Others Are Saying! (MakeupAlley.com & LipstickQueen.com)

"I just wanted to say your lipsticks are AMAZING!!! I just received my order, (from Barneys NY) and I just love them"

"I am an Australia girl who fell in love with your lipsticks from the very start and wore nothing else for almost a decade. I was heartbroken when we lost your beautiful products, and I am so excited to see that you're back and that you're still committed to creating amazing lipsticks"

"If I had to choose just one lipstick to wear for the rest of my life, this would be it. The color is a beautiful warm "my lips but better" shade that is sheer, but still has a beautiful depth of color (if that makes sense). Saint Nude is something like NARS Dolce Vita, which some people claim is the universally flattering shade. While I find Dolce Vita to be a sheer rose that is neutral leaning toward cool, Saint Nude is a sheer neutral leaning toward warm. The packaging is a beautiful gold-toned tube, and when you put on the top it makes a satisfying little "click" so you know it's staying on. Lipstick Queen products aren't cheap or easy to come by, but this gem is worth the hunt and the price tag."

"Take it from a person who has spent enough money on lipstick to finance a small country: this is the BEST product out there. I have "Red Sinner" and I LOVE it. It's matte, but not drying. The color stays a long time and never bleeds. I'm not a fashionista, but I feel positively glam in this lipstick.
I've tried the really expensive stuff, but it doesn't hold a candle to Lipstick Queen."


UPDATE: They have LQ products at Barney's and if you order from Barney's website, they are doing free shipping for all UPS ground orders. This would be the best deal right now for LQ. How do I know this? Because I ordered Saint Natural and the matching lip liner. Bad bad bad girl!

Meet Poppy King, The Lipstick Queen


No comments:

Post a Comment