Search This Blog

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Baby Steps: A Very Wearable Red For The Timid!

 I've touched on NYC lipsticks in my top lipstick picks of all time blog post. Now, there have been a few added to the list and maybe a few that have lost their top spot, but this one remains the same. A true red lipstick winner, this one is. It is Sheer Red by NYC. This is a 99 cent lipstick, so already what do you have to lose by trying it? I will tell you what you have to lose, 99 cents. The price of a candy bar. I call this post "baby steps" because a lot of women are petrified of wearing red lipstick. I don't blame them. Red lipstick can be a confusing shade to pull off. Red lipstick is not just red lipstick. There are plenty of different shades and undertones to contend with. You have to be familiar with your skin tone and what looks best for those with your skin tone. But I will simplify it for you. Most anyone looks good in raspberry reds or red lipsticks with blue undertones. If all of that sounds confusing, just get NYC Sheer Red and be done with it.

Oh yeah, some say it is a dupe for Nars Flamenco. I will include swatches of both! 
Nars Flamenco, NYC Sheer Red (L2R)
NYC Sheer Red is what it says, a sheer red. You can certainly build and build until a darker and more vibrant red is achieved. Or you can swipe it around once or twice and end up with a sheer red. And the texture is also pretty good for a 99 cent lipstick. It isn't drying and it is actually moisturizing. I don't really need a lip liner with the lipstick but that will depend on how defined your lips are. I have one red lip liner in my collection because I only own 3 red lipsticks. It's Red Diva by Rimmel and it goes with all of my red's.  And all of my reds are the raspberry-toned reds that I am speaking so highly of. 
These are my lips after quite a few coats of the NYC Sheer Red, no lip liner. You can see the shine and the sheerness of the lipstick.
What others are saying! (as quoted from MakeupAlley.com)

"Best 99 cents I've ever spent. Beautiful cherry red color, but I think "Semi-Sheer Red" is a more accurate name; for reference, this is definitely a more intense and brighter red than Lipstick Queen Medieval. Smells exactly like Twizzlers and even though I usually hate scented makeup, I kinda love it. Great d/s find."

"The perfect sheer red! I wear it without lip pencil, adding a little gloss for winter time chapped lips! Yes, you can nick the lipstick if you aren't careful placing the top back on, bummer. Great color, great value."

"As far as dirt-cheap thrills go, this is one of the best. I'm usually drawn to pink or nude lip colors, so this deep red is a bit of a departure for me. But for 99 cents, I figured I had nothing to lose, and I'm so glad I took that stylistic chance. My favorite way to wear it is to apply a little lip balm first and then push the color onto my lips, rather than swiping it on. It gives a pretty raspberry stain that lasts through the second round of cocktails."

And 84% of the other 105 reviews this lipstick has are also Pro-NYC Sheer Red. So if you have always said "red just doesn't look good on me", bite your tongue, go to Wal-Mart, Target, or Rite Aid and pick this little drugstore gem up. Maybe get a back-up because you are gonna love it and you never know when companies just randomly decide to discontinue shades that everyone loves! They did it to Port. RIP NYC Port Ultra-Moist lipstick.

No comments:

Post a Comment