Search This Blog

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Smashbox Liquid Liner Limitless VS L'OREAL Carbon Black Lineur Intense Felt-Tip Liquid Liner


There is no competition as far as I am concerned. The winner is L'OREAL Lineur Intense liquid eyeliner by a landslide, reaffirming the fact that one doesn't need to spend big bucks for eyeliners that perform amazingly. I purchased the Smashbox Limitless liquid liner the other day at Sephora because I had seen it on QVC and thought the very fine fine point would be great for winged liner. Not on these eye lids unfortunately. Read on for full comparison.

Smashbox Limitless


L'Oreal Lineur Intense Carbon Black

Smashbox: $22
L'Oreal: $7-$11 (varies according to location)

Smashbox VS L'OREAL, Who is the Blackest?

This is where both liners are neck and neck in the blackness category, although I feel that L'OREAL gives a shinier black while Smashbox is relatively flat. 

Who Has the Best Applicator?

Easily, L'Oreal. I thought the fine point of Smashbox would make it the winner here but unfortunately, the tip is so pointy that it makes it hard to drag while creating your wing in a smooth, non wrinkled looking way. The liner is great for a simple line from end to end of lash line but not liking how it performs the wing action. On the other hand, L'Oreal goes on smooth and seems to release more product so you don't have to go back over it again. 

Two Coats Necessary For Full Coverage? 

Not with L'Oreal but with the Smashbox, since the tip is so thin you have to go back over it get get all of the area you want covered as black as possible. And because it dries so fast, another coat can look cake-ish. L'Oreal wins again.

Smudging, Transferring, Staying Power?

The weird thing is you don't have much play time to use Smashbox because if you mess up and try to fix it real quick (like if you make your wing all weird), it won't budge. However, it transfers! It doesn't move when you want it to and it definitely moves when you DON'T want it to. Just what I don't want in an eyeliner. I tried it more than once to rule out the transferring being caused by a new primer I'm using and it still came up the loser. L'Oreal wins again, its easier to fix when you screw up but yet it doesn't transfer. Props to the drugstore contender. And to kick a horse while he's down, I've used the Smashbox Limitless NON-liquid liner that resembles a UD 24/7 but transfers and smudges like nobodies biz. Applies very well on the waterline but if lasting power is your thing, this one is not for you.

Longevity of Using the Product Before Replacement?

I have had the L'Oreal product for about a month or more, and it is showing no signs of drying. On the other hand, I have read numerous reviews that say the Smashbox liner dries out very fast. Which is enough to never repurchase even I loved how it performed. 

Is there ANYTHING Good About The Smashbox Liner?

Yes, one thing. You can just shake the pen when you want more product whereas with most liners, you have to dip it back into the bottle to shake it or get more product. I like not having to do the extra step involved. 

Verdict: 
I like the concept of the Smashbox liner BUT Stila makes a similar style that works way better and doesn't transfer and the point isn't as rough. Save your money and buy the L'Oreal and if that isn't your thing, try Wet N' Wild Megalast liquid liner, it is crazy black and bulletproof. I don't know about you but I'm getting sick of spending money and in exchange getting sub-par performing products. And to me, this isn't even sub-par, its like no-par or way below par. Thank you Sephora for your excellent return policy.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the info. Liquid liner and I are not friends, but I think this L'Oreal liner might work for me!

    ReplyDelete