Search This Blog

Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Review for June's Glossy Box Subscription

If you don't know already, Glossybox is just another monthly subscription service where you receive around five deluxe or regular sample sizes of various items ranging from makeup to hair products and some odds and ends in between. Glossybox was just released in the US in May and I was quite pleased with May's box. I was charged for June's box in the first week of June but unfortunately didn't receive it until today. July 5th. First complaint, don't charge me until you send out the box and try to send it in the same month that I have paid for. Doesn't seem that hard.

In any event, I opened up the box and everything was wet. Not a good sign. It seems that some Ahava body wash had leaked all over everything. Which is no surprise seeing as how the cap wasn't even the least bit screwed on. After I managed to clean everything up and say goodbye to at least half of the body wash, I looked at what other products there were. To sum it up, absolutely nothing wowed me or even remotely sparked my interest. What I received:

-Ahava Velvet Cream wash
-First Aid Beauty Smooth Shave Cream (good size)
-Ofra Eyeshadow in Goldilocks (full size)
-Wella Moisturizing treatment
-a 3-piece sample sized skin care line by Vbeaute
-perfume sample from Perfume Organic called Urban Organic



The run down: 
Overall, everything was fairly boring. The Ofra eyeshadow is a cream eyeshadow which has an applicator similar to a Lancome Juicy Tube. This product had potential because the staying power is fantastic but the color looks like a baby's first poop after ingesting solid foods. The shade is golden but more on the orange side and doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. It may be decent as an eyeshadow base but certainly not something I'd pick out on my own. Swatch picture below, I know it doesn't look that bad but I'm not into it.
Ofra Eyeshadow in Goldilocks above
I find hair care to be terribly boring and thus I yawned at the site of the Wella hair conditioner, a brand I don't use or like anyway. I was equally as disenchanted with the Vbeaute skin care trio. The Ahava Velvet Cream body wash made a bad impression from the start given that half of it was dumped all over the other products creating a wet, sticky, heavily fragranced (despite being for sensitive skin) mess. The perfume, from Perfume Organic, certainly smelled organic.. a little too organic.. like a plant. Who wants to smell like a plant? The only thing I see myself using is the First Aid Beauty shave cream, out of necessity rather than interest in the product. 

The best part of this month's edition of Glossybox? The Glossy Mag, a  small magazine that includes beauty tips and trends and pictures of products that you WISH you had instead of the bottom of the bathroom drawer junk they sent out this month. In the magazine they feature brands like Laura Mercier, Chanel, and NARS, which is confusing because it only reminds you of what you could have spent your $21 a month on.Wouldn't it make more sense for them to talk about how to use the products that they DO send you?

I am fully aware that some boxes are better than others, I just wasn't pleased with the whole lateness of the shipment, the spilled product mess, and the less than stellar products. I went ahead and canceled the subscription because even if I do get even one great product every other month, its just not worth it. I would rather find a subscription service that ONLY sends makeup, no bath & body products, no skin care, no hair products, no food or gum, and absolutely NO toothpaste or similar toiletries. Moving on!

No comments:

Post a Comment