Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Drugstore Gem: Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse Foundation


I have been out of the makeup loop for a couple of weeks now and I blame it on one thing: Retin A. I recently did a post about it if you are curious as to what it is and what it does. But for now, I will just tell you that what it does is completely dismantle the enthusiasm you once had for makeup. This little prescription strength depression in a tube has erased any sense of motivation I have had to buy makeup, let alone use makeup. But I am going to suffer through it and stick with it because the results are finally starting to show.. Its too late to turn back now.

One good thing Retin A has brought me? Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse foundation. I would have never bought this product but I was desperate to find something, anything, that would help conceal the drying, flaking, peeling, red mess of a face that I have acquired since changing up my skin care routine. I had read somewhere that this foundation had helped someone else by not clinging to the dry and peeling patches and in turn, providing an ounce of relief to the horror she felt when she looked in the mirror. Well, I said to myself, I've tried Chanel, Laura Mercier, Hourglass, Neutrogena, and BB Cream, so why not set my sights on something new? Something I wouldn't have given a second glance  prior to dealing with the monstrosity that is now known as my reflection.  

What it is:
Described as an ultra-hydrating creamy whipped foundation for normal/dry skin types. I would call this a cream foundation that is medium coverage but I've heard it referred to as full-coverage as well.
Who Is It For?
Those with dry skin or normal/dry. If you are oily, they make a version called Dream Smooth Matte Mousse.


First Impressions:
There is something very appealing to a foundation that is described as being a mousse, and its exactly what the texture is. Its very light and smooth with a silky feel. I am not a huge fan of the packaging and find it a bit redundant. It comes in a circular compact container with one side being a compartment for the sponge and the other end being your foundation. Overall, love the silky texture and the mousse foundation concept.

Application and Finish:
Rarely do I ever use the actual applicator that is provided with powders or foundations but this sponge works pretty well. Due to the silky and fine texture, I think the sponge is the best route to go. I have tried to apply it with my fingers as well but I don't think it distributes the product in a thick enough layer nor is it as easy to blend. The fact that the foundation doesn't dry super quickly makes it a pretty buildable product. In my experience, it is buildable without being cakey at the same time but in order to make this happen, I would use a sponge. Given that I am dealing with redness and sensitivity, I use a patting motion with the sponge applicator in order to apply the foundation to certain areas. The size and thickness of the sponge allows you to get into certain areas of the face like the nostrils and under eye area which can typically be too small for a large applicator. Overall, this product just glides right on in a very smooth and effortless manner.



Staying Power:
Very good. Stays on throughout the day but better with a powder over it to set the foundation.
Shade selection:
Available in 10 creamy shades (shown on the chart below). I noticed that each shade seems to differ only slightly from the one previous one before it which makes it easy to get your exact match rather than having to go straight to a medium tone if you need something a little darker than the lightest shade but not as dark as a medium. My shade is 200 Creamy Natural which is on the lighter end of the shade spectrum. 

Overall Grade: A-

For further raves and reviews, please check out the YT video below for further information!


No comments:

Post a Comment