Search This Blog

Monday, April 30, 2012

Looking for Some Silicone-Free Moisturizer? Its No Easy Task!


God bless those that can try out any foundation or moisturizer that looks good to them because that has to be a very liberating feeling. I wouldn't know because I have to make sure that any product I use doesn't contain silicone, dimethicone, or any other pore-clogging cone there is. Virtually 99.9% of the products out there today contain some form of silicone and most people have no problems with this ingredient. The higher the silicone ingredient is on the list, the more prevalent it is in the composition of the product. I have used tons of products with silicone in it because I really had no other choice, I put up with the little bumps on my forehead and jawline but even if they weren't full on zits, sometimes the bumps are more annoying because they seem to last forever! At least with a zit, you know it will come to a head (literally) and be out of your life or if you're impatient and pick at them, they will leave behind a scar to remind you of your impatience and let you know for years to come that there once was a pesky zit in its place. But I finally decided to come to terms with the fact that I had to look a little harder for products that were silicone-free and start embracing my silicone-free future (at least where my face is concerned). And just a reminder, "oil free" does not equal silicone free, not that they are the same thing but I have encountered brainless cosmetic counter worker girls (no offense to the ones with brains) tell me that it was. So, how do you know if silicone is bothering your face? Do you get little flesh colored bumps, sometimes very teeny tiny? Those could be due to a reaction to silicone but could also be just clogged pores, cystic acne, millia (although millia tends to be little white bumps often around the eyes). 
Believe me, if I could handle silicone, I would be all over it, all day, every day. No judgment here! But its a sad fact that I can't. 

So if you are in the same silicone-free boat as me, and looking for a good moisturizer, I've got one for ya!

Korres 24-Hour Moisturizing & Brightening Cream (one with SPF6, and one without): 
Known for its natural ingredients, Korres boasts a range of products without silicones, parabens, etc. Don't be fooled into thinking ALL Korres products are silicone free because they aren't. But the Wild Rose 24-Hour Moisturizing & Brightening Cream is, and its fantastic. If you have dry skin, and you can't do silicone, this is your new best friend. Blog reader, meet Korres moisturizer, Korres moisturizer meet dry skinned silicone-hating blog reader. Now, for some reason Korres makes a version of this with SPF6 (pictured above) with the description in Greek and one version without SPF6 and without the Greek but its the same exact thing aside from the SPF because I have them both. I just don't see the need for the two separate products because an SPF of 6 isn't enough to justify a whole separate product but whatevs. Though it seems petty to complain about anything after I've found my problem-solver of life.
It's so super moisturizing and I love the scent. I normally hate fragrance but for some reason I'm obsessed with this smell but I also can't describe it so that does you zero good. It doesn't agitate my skin which is a first for me. Even though its a super moisturizing lotion, I can apply my makeup like five minutes after applying and its fine. I use it day and night and I will never be without it. It also does give a nice glow to the face. Similar to Philosophy Hope in a Jar moisturizers but without the dimethicone! Now, I do love me some Philosophy skin care so I can't hate. But I've found my one and only in Korres 24-Hour Moisturizing and Brightening Cream and I'm not looking back. I bought my Korres moisturizer on Ebay for less than $20. If you like spending full-price plus tax instead, you can buy it for $38 at ULTA or Sephora.

I plan to do more posts on silicone-free products because there aren't enough of them, posts OR products! And if someone can answer me this question: What is the relationship between Magnesium Aluminum Silicate and Silicone? Because I can handle it just fine so it must not do the same thing.



14 comments:

  1. I have learned so many things from reading your blog. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with others! I had no idea that those little flesh colored bumps were caused by silicone in the products I've been using. Wow!! I will be going on a hunt for silicone free products now. No more silicone for me!! I hate those ugly little bumps that pop up on me from time to time! Thanks so much for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're sweet thank you for reading! I want to clarify, if you have the little bumps they may or may not be a silicone allergy- sometimes they are just clogged pores! You may be totally fine with silicone! It could be due to another ingredient or if the product you're using isn't oil-free. I know women who can't do products not oil-free but totally fine w/ silicone. Its a frustrating process of discovery! Thanks for reading, I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I appreciate you and your blog as well! I'm a new follower to your blog and so glad I stumbled upon it. I'm a nut when it comes to my skin so it's not clogged pores, at least I don't think it could be. Right now I'm using Mary Kay skin care products. I've used their products for years and my skin has always done really well with them. I recently tried the Timewise line though and hated the moisturizer. I've since gone back to the Enriched moisturizer. I have started adding just a dab of Relastyl in with my daily moisturizer and that could be my problem with the bumps. I'm having a hard time pin pointing what is causing them but I'm thinking that maybe it's an ingredient contained in the Relastyl. I am not knowledgeable at all with ingredients in products but I'm definitely learning and find it important to do so. Your blog is a gem for that kind of information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also used the Mary Kay timewise, cleanser and moisturizer! I liked them but the moisturizer broke me out because of the dang dimethicone! I'm doing wonderfully with the Korres moisturizer and if you can believe it the Garnier BB Cream! I love it and doesn't break me out! Sometimes its not the ingredient that is the problem on its own, its the way that it may interact with another ingredient which makes it so impossible to figure out the problem! :) Welcome to my blog!

      Delete
    2. And I'm happy to welcome another platinum beauty! Love your pic and hair color!

      Delete
    3. Sorry, had to respond to the Relastyl comment, is that similar to a Retin-A? If so, they have a lot of pore clogging ingredients and oils and stuff. I have used a lot of those type of products and they all do the same thing, break me out and give me bumps. Although, sometimes it gets worse before it gets better and sometimes products like those are just trying to bring all the junk to the surface. My problem is that the junk stayed on the surface! Ha!So now I use a gentler product only a couple times per week and I'm doing well.

      Delete
  4. Resastyl is a anti-wrinkle treatment. I actually found it by clicking on a youtube video that said 'botox alternative'. Who wouldn't want that? haha Here is the video if you are interested in watching. The product is great but I will probably stop using it on my face since I feel that it's what is trying to break me out, or maybe try using it alone without my moisturizer for a couple of days just to see what happens. I only have a sample of the product I'm using so I probably will not be purchasing the full size if I learn that it is what is breaking me out. It's pretty dang pricey!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nutmD19Cyb0

    and the link to the official site for the product.

    http://www.nutraceutics.com/Product/Relastyl.aspx

    Thanks so much for your lovely compliment on my pic and hair! I think I'm going to try Garniier BB cream as I've heard nothing but great things about it, from every woman I know who has tried it. I'm about to become a single mom of two so my budget will be drastically cut soon. :( I'm going to need to really start trying out a lot of drugstore products in the near future as far as my makeup goes, so I hope the BB cream will work for me. Thanks for sharing your opinion on that with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the links!! Aww, I am so sorry you will be on your own raising your kids! I have two little ones myself and I couldn't imaging that. But women have so much strength and especially when it comes to their kids- you can do it!!! If you want to email sometime, angelammiller@yahoo.com

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for the encouraging comments! I need all of the positive I can get right now so I appreciate them so much! I would love to email sometime. I will send you an email in a bit so you can save me in your contacts. Genuinely nice people are a bit hard to come by these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this info.

    I have this problem and everyone looks at me like I am crazy. Every time I use a product with dimethocone in it, I get these little bumps. It started with primers and then foundations and now moisturizers. UGH!!

    I read labels on everything and right now I am not using a moisturizer. I am 47 years old--I need a moisturizer but these tiny white bumps are NOT what I want! I will look into this Korres product. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the same boat as you! I hate when I read things on the internet that say that silicone doesn't clog pores- actually it doesn't go into to the pore persay but it creates a barrier over the pore that makes it hard for cleanser to break down. I hate that I can't use so many products I want to try! I am putting together a list right now of powders/foundations that are silicone-free and will post that soon! Thanks for commenting, I hope you will stick around :) and share any good silicone free finds with me!

      Delete
  7. Oh and too funny, I can use both the Garnier and the L'Oreal BB creams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Garnier BB cream every day! It's one of the only tinted products that I can use that doesn't have silicone.I use it under the Laura Mercier mineral powder (no silicone). I will have to look into the L'Oreal Bb Cream! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  8. Hi thx for this blog. This is the second time that someone has told me that dimethicone could be causing those little bumps that just sit underneath your skin. Mine sit under there and never go away bug also never turn into active pimples either. Further more this dimethicone that's in my facial lotion could be contributing to my already acne prone face! Imma try the suggested product and report back ... ( hope I remember to report back) THX!!

    ReplyDelete