Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

My Makeup Storage Featuring Muji Acrylic Drawers + Target Clearance Finds!

I was in Target a few days ago and noticed they had a lot of their holiday housewares on clearance. I found the cutest silver candle holders on sale for a few dollars each and snatched up the three that remained. What's great is that although they were part of the holiday collections, they don't look too Christmas-y so I can use them year round. I thought, what a great way to store makeup brushes, eyeliners, mascaras, etc and jazz up your counter top (or vanity) at the same time. 

As far as makeup storage goes, I am not creative. I use a two-part system: the Muji acrylic drawers for the makeup that I actually use and then a reject drawer in the bathroom for fallen products that didn't make the cut but that I still hold on to because I "may need them someday". Ahhh, that old rationalization that helps us justify keeping junk that should be tossed out or given away, "I may use this someday". But we all know that "someday" never comes and the next thing you know your family has submitted your application to that TV show, Hoarders where they find you knee deep in Beanie Babies and old pizza boxes that a pack of squirrels have sought refuge in. So before that happens, I will likely clean out that reject drawer and come to terms with myself. 

Muji Acrylic Drawers + Candle Holders

So the Clear Cube acrylic makeup storage system was all the rage a couple years back because the Kardashian's use it and had it on their bathroom counter in one of their reality shows. I hear they are quite amazing but they are also like $300. So if you don't want to spend that money, Muji makes some pretty good acrylic drawers of different sizes that you can stack and try to emulate the "Clear Cube" look. Personally, I love being able to see my makeup and so I do like clear drawers. The drawback is that even the large Muji drawers are not as deep as the Clear Cube drawers but they are still durable and I've been satisfied.

Muji acrylic drawers: two five-stacks and two large drawers (much deeper and better than the thin drawers in the five-stacks) + some odds and ends up top that do not fit in the drawers: Laura Mercier Mineral Powder, Jane Iredale foundation, etc.


Candle holders make great storage for tall items like makeup brushes, liners, mascaras, and other odds and ends! You can always find these cheaply at places like Wal-Mart, Target (sometimes cheaply), Big Lots, etc.


If you want to get extra jazzy, some ribbon tied around your candle holders will spice up the look of your counter-top or vanity. I used one one that was wrapped around some Chanel makeup for Christmas!


Now if I could only find a snazzy way to store my boring products like toothpaste and skin and hair care. I will work on that. 



No comments:

Post a Comment