Search This Blog

Friday, October 26, 2012

My Top Fall Lipstick Picks (Drugstore & High-End)

I haven't posted in so long! My life has been consumed with finishing my last 6 months of graduate school, working, and most importantly, being a mom to two little girls. But as Eleanor Roosevelt famously quoted, "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong it is until it's in hot water." Nothing like a little female empowerment to get a beauty post going! So let's begin.

This season is all about darker lip colors, reds, burgundy, plums, hell even black. I'm sorry I just can't jump on that bandwagon. Well, actually, I've jumped onto it but then a few minutes later I jump back off and head right for my comfort zone.... the land of nudes, pinks, and peachy tones. But I'm willing to compromise. I have put together a list of lipsticks that I am comfortable with for fall, not too far out of the comfort zone but still darkening things up a bit. For reference, I am neutral-cool light/medium skin tone (in MAC terms about an NW25). I'm liking the warmer pinks, so that is going to be the main theme here. 

Too Faced Centerfold I love this shade, its comes across as a deeper mauve tone on me and I think its a great pick for fall. The formula is very nice on this lipstick but I know that there are others in the line that can be a bit gritty. Since this is a nice, creamy, no-shimmer shade, it's not at all gritty. 

MAC Blankety (Milani dupe can be found here) I know, I know, not exactly a stretch but for my skin tone, this shade is considered a darker nude. It's a brown toned warm pink, an amplified formula, and a favorite of many. This would be a good nude for darker skin tones because some nudes can make medium/tan/deep tones look like a corpse. Which is appropriate for Halloween but not the other 364 days of the year. Sidenote, I hesitate to even call MAC's lipsticks high-end anymore when they are like $4 more expensive than some of the drugstore choices.

MAC Pure Zen I know, I know, this doesn't exactly scream fall but I've been wearing it like it does. This shade was recently released with the Marilyn collection but it's not a new shade by any means, just overlooked by me apparently. I love this for a warmer-peachier-toned-nude. It's much much easier to wear than the Myth, Fleshpot, crew. This is a must-have for nude lovers that can't quite, yet almost, pull off the fleshier looking nude shades. With or without the Marilyn insignia, this is a great lipstick. Paired up with Chanel Natural Lip Definer, and you've got yourself a lovely fall nude lip combo.

Revlon Lip Butter Pink Truffle This has been my latest love, and my current go-to when I'm running out the door in the morning and need something quick and easy to apply (at the stoplight) on my way to school or work. So this is a very warm pink, almost so that you can't see the pink but somehow its flattering. Not all lip butter formulas are the same, there are some grittier because they have shimmer and then there are really creamy ones like Pink Truffle that give this gorgeous shine. I just love lip butters in general, great product all around!

Revlon Kissable Balm Stain Honey I really love these as well, give it up to Revlon for nailing it with lip products this year. Honey is gorgeous warm pink that looks great on everyone. One drawback, when it begins to go into "stain mode", it turns into a much brighter pink which I don't dig. But I love the color, texture, and ease of use! This shade is a great way to really warm up your makeup look and I find that it makes my teeth look extra white. 

Rimmel Vintage Pink This is the deepest of the shades I've mentioned. Vintage Pink is sort of this rich mid-tone plummy pink that is creamy and totally gorgeous. This is a shade that will look great on deeper skin tones but I can pull it off as well which makes it very versatile. This is a great shade that is perfect for fall but kind of that mid point for those that don't want to completely merge themselves into that whole deep plum-burgundy-lip trend.

Photo taken by me, from L to R: Too Faced Centerfold, MAC Blankety, MAC Pure Zen, Revlon Pink Truffle LB, Revlon Kissable Lip Balm Honey, Rimmel Vintage Pink




No comments:

Post a Comment